Thursday, May 25, 2006

Souls and Swords.

The sword is the soul of the samurai.

Historically, the samurai only used the sword as a last resort. In battle, they would use a bow first, then a spear or a halberd. The sword was only used in the direst of circumstances. I think this was because metal was a hard thing to come by in Japan and so they would have avoided the risk of damaging a sword as much as possible.

Reading into the subject more, i've learned that it also has something to do with the warrior way of life. Symbolically, drawing the sword would be the warrior's grandest act, his final resolve. He would bear his sword as if to say to his opponent "Here i am, i hide nothing from you. I bear my soul for my beliefs and principles. We will end this conflict now, with my life or yours."

No comments: